Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Delicious Potato Soup

We make this all the time and love it! Here are the measurements, but I really just do as much as I want, because I don't think it would make very much if you follow the vegetable measurements. I will just double or triple the part where you make the broth (broth, milk, butter, flour).

2 c. water
1 1/2 c. potatoes
1 c. carrots
1 c. celery
1/4 c. onion
Salt and Pepper

1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. flour
1 c. milk
1/2 c. chicken broth
1 c. cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp. dill weed (I don't have this, so I just throw in whatever spices I want, like parsley, garlic powder, etc)
Crisp bacon

Boil water in large pot. Chop veggies, then add to boiling water. Return to boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Do not drain. In a seperate pan, melt butter and whisk in flour. Cook until smooth, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and gradually stir in milk and chicken broth. Bring to boil over medium heat. Boil 1 minute. Add cheese and stir until melted. Add to veggies. Add spices. I let it simmer for quite a while before we eat, and definitely let it cook on low heat for a while if the veggies are still really crunchy. Add salt and pepper  and broken up pieces of bacon to taste, if desired.

This recipe is really yummy with homemade bread or rolls on the side.

No comments: