Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Cilantro Pesto

These rolls were just a package of cresent rolls I reshaped then sprinkled with garlic salt and parsely.


I've been experimenting a lot with pestos lately and I've found a real keeper.
I used it for our green St. Patricks Day dinner tonight.

2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
1 cup fresh parsley leaves
3 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 cup pine nuts (cashews, walnuts or almonds can be used)
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese (or Parmesan)
1/2 cup olive oil (I used garlic EVOO or you could just add a little garlic)

Rinse, dry and roughly chop the cilantro and parsely. Roast the nuts in a pan on the stove over medium. Once they start changing color sprinkle with the chili powder and a little salt. Put the cilantro, parsley, lime juice, nuts, salt, pepper, and grated cheese into the bowl of a food processor then stream olive oil in while pulsing until mixture is smooth, 8 to 10 pulses. If mixture is too thick, add more olive oil; if too thin, add more nuts.  Pour into 4 one-cup freezer containers. Use one container within a few days; freeze the others for later.
 
Ideas for use: I spread it over chicken breasts and baked them in the oven. On the side I made cilantro pesto rice that would be really good on a Cafe Rio type salad. Recipe is as follows...
 
1 can black beans
1 can corn
3/4 c. chicken broth
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried cilantro ( I really like cilantro)
2 c. cooked rice
1 c. cilantro pesto sauce
 
Heat through, sprinkle with Asiago & serve.

No comments: