Thursday, August 12, 2010

Homemade Enchilada Sauce

Due to my bountiful basket a couple weeks ago, I had a drawer full of green peppers that I didn't know what to do with. I tried this recipe and it is super tasty! I made three batches and froze the leftovers for a quick dinner another night.

1 c. chopped green chili peppers
3 c. tomato juice (I didn't have any so I used 1 8oz can tomato sauce, 1 c. water and 1 diced tomato)
1 med. sized onion, diced
1 tsp. ground oregano
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried cilantro

Saute peppers, onions and spices until softened. Add tomato and simmer 15 minutes. Wait till mixture cools a little then pour it into a blender and blend until as smooth as you like. When cooling in the refrigerator do not cover.

Variations: Can add jalapenos or red chili powder for more heat.

This makes a quick dinner. Add a thin layer on the bottom of a 9x13 pan.  Then just simmer the sauce with some shredded chicken, add some cheese in a tortilla and roll up. Continue till the pan is full, smother the top with more sauce and a generous amount of cheese. Cook at 350 for 30 minutes to heat through and melt the cheese. Mmmm.

No comments: